Graduating with a Degree in Architecture
It's not what I've always imagined it would be. Thought you'd be more free minded, but in fact your in thoughts of your career and the future constantly. I've dreamed about this day for quite awhile, but now, i wish time would be more easy on us, and let us savor the precious moments we had together. 3 years went by too fast, the people I've encountered were one in a million kinds of personality. What i can say is, " I've never regretted taking this course". It was a beautiful ending.
Now that era is over, it's time to start moving forward. Unlike my other classmates who has applied into a gazillion universities (just in case), I've only applied for 2. I just finished the interview with Kingston University few days ago. What i can tell you is, it was my first time being interviewed, and honestly speaking, i could have done better, that's probably why I've been so down in the dumps for a 2 days as well. But if it's God's will for me to go, He will make a way, as how he has been doing for the past 23 years.
The Skype interview wasn't intense at all. The lady was really great and nice, it was me being all nervous and sick (literally). I vow to myself to be super prepared no matter how small an interview is. There is always a place for improvements. She asked questions like :
1) Where do you see yourself in a few years time ?
2) How did you know about Kingston University ?
3) Why study architecture ?
4) Which architect do you admire ?
5) Which building to you like ?
She was going on with general questions that I've never thought of that they would bother to ask. I guess it really goes down to the roots and basics during the interview.
Basically, the whole point in me writing this post is to answer the question " why study architecture?". Its just 3 words that kept me pondering for days for the right answer. Maybe i just needed to put it into words, it was all a mumbo-jumbo in my head.
" I was first keen on architecture, the moment i saw my dad start to build buildings, that's the first impression. After high-school, it was time to choose a course which i desire, and to be honest, i thought I would be an engineer. But my dad suggested me in doing architecture, cause of my love for arts and science. I excelled during high-school being at the top 5 in my class. I excelled cause i knew that education can change a situation.
So, on i went into this path, as i learnt more on the meaning and importance of architecture, not just about buildings, but about people. Through research papers and architecture history classes, I've gain access to a critical and analytic mind in seeing beyond just concrete structures, but something with substance, and the ability to change the way a society works or how sometimes it could be a political/religious issue in our current situations.
Looking at current headlines regarding health hazards in China, i came to a conclusion that if the way the people lived didn't change, the environment and health will deteriorate. One of the major ways is to improve the living/built environment for the people. Providing with easy access to clean/safe quarters. I know it's easier said than done, but it's just some of the few things in my mind. "Humanity".
Talking about local issues as well, i could go on forever, i know there are a group of people/architects helping out the aborigines in West Malaysia, building safe and cozy homes for them (in the jungle).
But I'd like to expound on the city area. What makes a greater city ? How do you lower energy consumption when all the low-cost housing(which are populating cities) are so not energy efficient !! I know it's cause to safe cost, but please, there has to be a way.
My love for architecture has increased significantly and has become more meaningful. I have a goal and a dream for our nation. "
Thank you.
P.S : I'd probably need to write a research paper on what i just wrote. I could probably take years, but it will not be wasted.
![]() |
| Class of 2013 Bachelor of Architecture(Science) |
![]() |
| Receiving the scroll |
![]() |
| Club 1601 |
| A great bunch of people |
The Skype interview wasn't intense at all. The lady was really great and nice, it was me being all nervous and sick (literally). I vow to myself to be super prepared no matter how small an interview is. There is always a place for improvements. She asked questions like :
1) Where do you see yourself in a few years time ?
2) How did you know about Kingston University ?
3) Why study architecture ?
4) Which architect do you admire ?
5) Which building to you like ?
She was going on with general questions that I've never thought of that they would bother to ask. I guess it really goes down to the roots and basics during the interview.
Basically, the whole point in me writing this post is to answer the question " why study architecture?". Its just 3 words that kept me pondering for days for the right answer. Maybe i just needed to put it into words, it was all a mumbo-jumbo in my head.
" I was first keen on architecture, the moment i saw my dad start to build buildings, that's the first impression. After high-school, it was time to choose a course which i desire, and to be honest, i thought I would be an engineer. But my dad suggested me in doing architecture, cause of my love for arts and science. I excelled during high-school being at the top 5 in my class. I excelled cause i knew that education can change a situation.
So, on i went into this path, as i learnt more on the meaning and importance of architecture, not just about buildings, but about people. Through research papers and architecture history classes, I've gain access to a critical and analytic mind in seeing beyond just concrete structures, but something with substance, and the ability to change the way a society works or how sometimes it could be a political/religious issue in our current situations.
Looking at current headlines regarding health hazards in China, i came to a conclusion that if the way the people lived didn't change, the environment and health will deteriorate. One of the major ways is to improve the living/built environment for the people. Providing with easy access to clean/safe quarters. I know it's easier said than done, but it's just some of the few things in my mind. "Humanity".
Talking about local issues as well, i could go on forever, i know there are a group of people/architects helping out the aborigines in West Malaysia, building safe and cozy homes for them (in the jungle).
But I'd like to expound on the city area. What makes a greater city ? How do you lower energy consumption when all the low-cost housing(which are populating cities) are so not energy efficient !! I know it's cause to safe cost, but please, there has to be a way.
My love for architecture has increased significantly and has become more meaningful. I have a goal and a dream for our nation. "
Thank you.
P.S : I'd probably need to write a research paper on what i just wrote. I could probably take years, but it will not be wasted.



Comments